Thursday, June 19, 2008

Almost time to leave

Hey everyone, so I'm getting the final things together for departure. I bought bug repellent, some waterproof gear for Melissa's camera, and a guide book. I'm only planning to take two bags and a carry on. We'll see how that works out. Melissa and I are leaving for Jax tonight, hopefully getting to the airport by 5:30am, since its international. I'll fly to Chicago, then to Hong Kong, and then to Vietnam. I'll stay in Ho Chi Minh City that night, I've just found out that someone will be meeting me at the airport, talk about celebrity status. They'll take me to a hotel, and I guess pick me up the next day, though I don't know that fact yet. At around 4:15ish the following afternoon, I fly on to Hue, and then from there go to the school. I'll finally arrive in Hue on the 22nd. I lose a day crossing the time zones, but will gain it back when coming home.

Melissa is doing pretty well, she's of course been teary, but its crunch time, and in our rush we haven't had much time for too many tears, though I've found a few minutes for my share. You all probably will not hear from me until at least the 23rd, but who knows, maybe the 22nd. So don't worry! I'll contact Melissa and let her know when I'm in HCMC, probably by email, so she'll know that I'm there safely and will hopefully then contact the parental types to let them know. I'll miss everyone very much, I look forward to the adventure, but the departure is definitely bitter sweet. So friends, the next time we talk, I'll be on the other side of the planet, and hopefully with at least a couple pictures to post for you!

~Mickey

1 comment:

DC said...

Fu Man Luuuuuu,
Sorry to hear that things did not go quite the way you expected, but, again, you have shown much courage in the face of adversity and I certainly am wishing you well for your, safe,all be it early, return to your home world. I congratulate you and wish you all the luck in the world with the program you are trying to set up. Sometimes I believe that many people in the Sates take for granted many of the things we have in our everyday lives. You have shone a new light on that and I, for one, am grateful for having had this oppurtunity to learn, along with you, the trials and tribulations found on the other side of this earth.
Again, thanks, Mick, for taking me along with you on this fantastic journey.
Peace to you and those you have met along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing you again, back in the comfort of your life and Second Life!
Love you bud,
Drew (DC)